Tacoma Alumni Chapter History
Tacoma Alumni Charter Members
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated began its official presence in the Pacific Northwest when The Gamma Eta Chapter was chartered in May 1948 on the campus of University of Washington, Seattle, Washington. Gamma Eta was chartered with the authority to accept undergraduate and graduate students regardless of race, ethnicity, or religious background, and to accept students from surrounding accredited colleges. This fact still remains.
The Seattle Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi was chartered in April 1954. The Seattle Alumni Chapter allowed for college graduates to become new initiates along with current members of Kappa Alpha Psi to become associated with other members of Kappa Alpha Psi. Seattle Alumni had members from the Puget Sound area, including Brothers from the Tacoma/Pierce County region. As the membership ranks grew in the Tacoma/Pierce County area, it became apparent that an Alumni Chapter should be started to serve these members and the community.
March 1985, The Tacoma Alumni Chapter was chartered.
Presently, Tacoma Alumni serves the Tacoma/Pierce County area through many social and community based events. Scholarships for high school seniors, mentoring youth, fund raising for those in need, support for UNCF, Shop with a Kappa and participation with The Tacoma National Panhellenic Council are all a part of its activities. Tacoma Alumni is also recognized as a 501(c)3 non profit organization. Tacoma has hosted C Rodger Wilson Leadership Conferences, Founders Day Banquets, Black and White Formals, the Western Province Golden Anniversary Council Meeting (1997), and the 68th Province Council Meeting, March 2015.